The Hyde Museum


Selections from The Arkell Museum at Canajoharie

November 12, 2005 - July 16, 2006

More News ›

November 12, 2005 through July 16, 2006 - The Hyde Collection’s Hoopes Gallery will feature fourteen remarkable paintings from the collection of The Arkell Museum at Canajoharie (formerly known as the Canajoharie Library and Art Gallery). The Arkell Museum was founded in 1924 by Bartlett Arkell, a successful Canajoharie businessman and the founder and first President of Beech-Nut Packing Company. He purchased the remarkable collection of late nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century American paintings that were installed in the museum when it first opened to the public in 1926. Highlights from this collection, including an exquisite portrait of a woman reading a letter (1889) by Thomas Dewing, a magnificent landscape The Rainbow (1878) by George Inness, and a luminous still life Blue and White Jar (c. 1910) by Emil Carlsen, are among the handful of works featured.

The Arkell Museum at Canajoharie received funding from the Arkell Hall Foundation to build an 18,000 square foot addition with six new gallery spaces designed by Ann Beha Architects and DesignLab architects. The museum will open to the public in early 2007. A small selection from this distinguished collection is on loan to The Hyde while The Arkell Museum is under construction.